If you’re like a lot of moms then you’re constantly looking for that next sweet treat. So, we’re thinking that Bethenny Frankel may just have the dessert for you. The original Skinny Girl transformed her low-fat, wheat-free, and dairy-free breakfast muffin into a delicious chocolate chip cupcake, and all the details are below.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp canola oil
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ⅔ cup mini-chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a muffin or cupcake tin with cooking spray or put liners into a muffin or cupcake tin.
2. In a small bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and canola oil. Stir and set aside to allow the sugar crystals to dissolve.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add the applesauce mixture and stir until everything is combined. Fold in the mini-chocolate chips.
4. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, portion the batter into the tin to make 8 cupcakes. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch.
5. Cool completely and remove from the tin. Top with your favorite frosting. (I’m partial to cream cheese frosting).