Have you ever wondered what your favorite celebrity was doing before making it big? Most Hollywood stars aren’t born rich and famous. In fact, pre-fame, a lot of celebs were struggling to get by, hustling for that big break, or working an odd job to help pay the bills, like these 10 famous moms.
1. Amy Adams – Amy Adams was a Hooters waitress before she made her mark in the acting world. The red-haired beauty credits the Sports Bar, known for its sex appeal, for helping her get a vehicle. “I did it because I needed to buy a car,” she told London’s Mail in 2006. She left Hooters after saving $900, enough to buy a used Chevrolet.
2. Cindy Crawford – Before landing one of the most glamorous jobs in the world Cindy Crawford made a living as a corn-shucker at a local fair. She was a college freshman making $4 per hour when a photographer discovered the beauty.
3. Whoopi Goldberg – Whoopi Goldberg had a couple of odd jobs before finding fame. After dropping out of high school, she was a phone sex operator, working from home at night. She later became a morgue Beautician, honing in on her trained cosmetology skills. “I did people’s make-up. Dead people’s, actually… I was good at that too,” the TV host told The Telegraph in 2009.
Related: Youngest Celebrity Grandmothers
4. Connie Britton – Nashville star Connie Britton worked as an aerobics instructor, and admitted that this job helped her maintain her physique. Being a fitness instructor was a financial help for the actress while she pursued her acting career in New York. “I ultimately taught aerobics and that was kind of how I got through it,” Britton revealed to E! News.
5. Nicole Kidman – In 1984, Academy Award-winning actress Nicole Kidman worked as a massage therapist at the age of 17, to help support her mom, who was diagnosed with breast cancer.
6. Rene Russo – To help her single mother, Rene Russo dropped out of high school and began taking a variety of part-time jobs including working in an eyeglass factory, and as a movie cashier.
7. Demi Moore – Demi Moore worked as a debt collection agent before signing with the Elite Modeling Agency and heading to Europe to work as a pin-up girl. She later took up acting after reading scripts with a young German neighbor and aspiring actress named Nastassja Kinski.
8. Megan Fox – Megan Fox worked at a smoothie bar in Florida when she was 15. Although Fox mostly worked behind the register, she said, “Once a week, usually on Fridays, someone had to dress up as a piece of fruit and go and stand out by the highway. I was a banana, a giant banana,” she shared while on The Ellen Degeneres Show.
9. Victoria Beckham – Before Victoria Beckham found success with the Spice Girls and as a fashion designer, she played a sperm on roller skates for a BBC sex-education television show called Body Matters.
10. Elizabeth Banks – Elizabeth Banks entered the job market as an errand girl for her local Catholic youth center. “I ran the after-school game room and then on Saturday mornings I ran the front desk where I did memberships… We had a basketball league, I handed out coffee to all the parents, I got lunch for the coaches,” Banks revealed. One thing the actress learned from her work experience, “Every job should be about customer service.”