When most people think of their grandmother they think old age, wrinkles and grey hair but that’s not always the case, especially for those women who embark upon motherhood early in life. These 12 celebrity moms were all under the age of 50 when they took on the title of grandma.
1. Naomi Judd (48) – At the age of 48 Naomi Judd became “Mamaw” when her daughter, Wynonna, had her son Elijah in 1994.
2. Tina Turner (mid 40’s) – The iconic singer has two biological sons and two stepsons and Turner, who recently became a Swiss citizen, took on the role of grandma in her mid-forties.
3. NeNe Leakes (45) – The Real Housewives of Atlanta star became a grandmother to baby Bri’Asia Bryant in 2012, when her 22-year-old son, Bryson, and his girlfriend made their special delivery. Leakes revealed the news to InTouch. “Forty is the new 30,” she told the magazine. “I’m a sassy, fashion-forward grandma.”
4. Sarah Palin (44) – Former vice presidential candidate, Sarah Palin, became a grandmother at 44 to baby Tripp. Ironically, she had just given birth to her son Trig in 2008 when her 18-year-old daughter, Bristol, announced her pregnancy.
5. Priscilla Presley (44) – Presley was 44 when her only child that she had with Elvis Presley, Lisa Marie, gave birth to a daughter, Riley Keough.
6. Michelle Duggar (43) – Michelle was 43 and her husband, Jim Bob was 44 when their son, Joshua and his wife, Anna, had a daughter, Mackynzie Renee. The following year, the reality couple welcomed their 19th baby, Josie.
7. Katherine Jackson (41) – The matriarch of the Jackson singing clan became a grandmother at the age of 41, one day after her birthday, when her oldest daughter, Rebbie, welcomed a child, Stacee Brown.
8. Jade Jagger (41) – Mick Jagger’s daughter, Jade, became a granny at age 41 when her baby girl, Assisi, had a child. In May of 2014 Assisi gave birth to daughter Ezra Key, and a month later Jagger gave birth to son, Ray Emmanuel Fillary.
9. Kelly Price (37) – R&B singer Kelly Price became a grandmother in 2012 when her 19-year-old son, Jeffery Rolle Jr., welcomed a baby girl into the world.
10. Whoopi Goldberg (34) – The View co-host became a grandmother at the young age of 34! She had her daughter, Alexandrea, at 16, who had her own child at age 18. Goldberg also became a great-grandmother when her grand-baby, Amarah Dean, gave birth.
11. Loretta Lynn (34) – American country sensation, Loretta Lynn, became a mother when she was 15, had six children, then became a grandmother at age 34, two years after her twins were born. She has 21 grandchildren as of April 2014.
12. Mama June (32) – Mama June’s first daughter, Anna “Chickadee” Shannon was 18 when she had “Baby Kaitlyn” during the first season of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, so, believe it or not, June became a grandmother at the tender age of 32!