Al Larter is one of our top celebrity foodies. Even with having a new baby the actress usually finds time to whip up something delicious in the kitchen. Recently, Larter shared the details to her Carrot Cake with Mascarpone Frosting, which includes simple, whole ingredients. The actress combines a lighter “mascarpone” cheese, mixed with traditional cream cheese, to balance the rich taste and texture. The delectable details are below.
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat flour
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp. Flaked Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- dash of Nutmeg
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 ¼ cups Grapeseed Oil
- 2 tsp. Grated Peeled Ginger
- 4 Eggs
- 3 cups Finely Grated Peeled Carrots
- 1 ½ cups Chopped Walnuts
- 8 oz. Mascarpone
- 5 oz. Cream Cheese
- 6 tbls. Softened Unsalted Butter
- 2 ½ cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- pinch Flake Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 2 9-inch cake pans, then lay parchment inside and butter and flour.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugars, oil, and ginger and whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture, and stir in carrots and walnuts.
- Divide batter and bake until toothpick comes out clean – 40 minutes.
- Let rest for ten minutes, then flip onto racks and let cakes sit until completely cool.
- Using a mixer, beat mascarpone, cream cheese, and softened butter for about 3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, and once incorporated flavor with maple syrup and sea salt, mixing until color and texture achieve consistency.
Icing the Cake:
- Ice top of one layer of cake with about 1/3 of icing mixture, add second layer, and cover entire cake with rest of icing – using about 1/3 on top, and the other 1/3 to cover sides.
- Decorate with walnuts if desired.