Memorial Day is a time when we commemorate all the brave men and women who died while serving in the US Armed Forces. As an extension of that gratitude and celebration, we’re recognizing some fearless famous moms who were courageous in their own fight. These 5 celebrity mothers defied the safety of comfort to make a difference in the lives of others.
1. Bea Arthur – Surprising to many, the late Golden Girls actress served our country as a Marine. The funny mom was a typist and truck driver in the early to mid 1940’s, until she was honorably discharged. It’s safe to say that the mother of two, who died of cancer in 2009, was a pioneer for female veterans, and we applaud Ms. Arthur for her brave service to our country.
2. Kate Winslet – In the summer of 2011, the English actress was vacationing on the estate of billionaire Richard Branson with her ex-boyfriend, Louis Dowler, and children, when the home was struck by lightning. After Winslet made sure her children were out safely she heroically re-entered the home and carried Branson’s 90-year-old mother to safety. Sadly, the entire estate burned down, but everyone inside was unharmed.
Embed from Getty Images“>
3. Angelina Jolie – In the Spring of 2013, the mom of 6 announced that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning that she carried a mutation of the BRCA1 gene, which increased her chances of developing breast and ovarian cancer. It was a bold move that inspired lots of women to get in proactive doctor’s visits. We’re sure many lives were saved because of Jolie’s courageous revelation, and we applaud her for that.
4. Pamela Anderson – The former Baywatch beauty made a heart-breaking confession in a 2014 speech; she was molested at the age of 6, raped at the age of 12, and gang-raped as a young adult. This tragic and private information is something that the star could have easily kept to herself, but she chose to share it publicly and hopefully help others who are afraid to speak out, and suffering in silence. We laud the actress for her strength.
5. Demi Moore – In 2009, Demi Moore saved a person’s life via social media. The actress received a message from a woman, that read, “Getting a knife, a big one that is sharp. Going to cut my arm down the whole arm so it doesn’t waste time.” Moore posted the message on her Twitter page, and this prompted users to call the police, who tracked down the woman to her home in San Jose, California. Thankfully, she was unharmed and thankfully, Moore reacted quickly.
Leave a Reply