As the saying goes, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. But, when it comes to childbirth we can make all the plans that we want, but in many cases, those plans go amiss, and when a beautiful life is brought into the world, failing is no longer an option. Whether through an elective procedure or an unfortunate emergency, one-third of all births happen by Cesarean section.
Below are 13 Celebrities who planned a vaginal delivery but ended up having an emergency C-section.
1. Madonna – The material momma planned a vaginal birth with her first child, Lourdes, however, after 12 hours of labor her doctor recommended a C-section.
2. Brooke Shields – After laboring for 24 hours, Shields had to undergo an emergency C-section with her first daughter. She then went on to undergo a scheduled C-section with her second daughter.
3. Serena Williams – In a Harpers Bazaar interview, it was revealed that Serena Williams’ baby girl became distressed during birth and had to be delivered by emergency C-section. The athlete then developed blood clots in her lungs after surgery, causing her to cough so much she ruptured her cesarean scar and her stomach filled with blood. This caused more complications. Of the experience she said, “What I went through was awful. Looking back, I don’t know how I got through it all. I mean I was praying, I know my mom was praying a lot.”
4. Kendra Wilkinson – Once the former playmate was induced, she endured a very long labor before finally having to have an emergency C-section with her son, Hank Jr.
5. Camila Alves – After almost two days of intense labor, without medication, the Brazilian beauty, along with Matthew McConaughey by her side, had to have a C-section.
RELATED: Celebrities Who Had Natural Births
6. Pink – The powerful singer planned an all-natural, unmedicated birth, empowered by Ricki Lake’s documentary, The Business of Being Born, but her daughter ended up in a frank breech position, with her legs up by her head. So, after two nights of labor, she delivered via Cesarean.
7. Bethenny Frankel – After 30 hours of labor, doctors recommended that the talk show host have a C-section: “She came out like a little doll,” Frankel says of her daughter’s birth.
8. Molly Sims – The model was set to deliver naturally but there was a problem with the umbilical cord, so she had to have a C-Section.
9. Tori Spelling – Spelling was planning a vaginal birth but had to deliver via Cesarean. The reality star ended up delivering all three of her children via C-section. She did confess that she wished she had the experience of a natural birth. She also states that because of the long recovery time, along with the pain, a C-section is no walk in the park.
10. Jenny McCarthy – The TV personality was planning a vaginal delivery but after three hours of labor and pushing, she had to undergo an emergency C-section because her son’s heart rate began to drop.
11. Gwyneth Paltrow – For the birth of her daughter, the A-list actress endured 70 hours of labor before getting a C-section. She also had a Cesarean with her son, two years later.
12. Tiffani Thiessen – The former Beverly Hills 90212 actress was in labor for 30 hours before having a C-section. The baby wasn’t descending and the cord was wrapped around her little girl’s neck so the actress had no choice.
13. Kate Winslet – The English actress initially tried to cover up the fact that she had an emergency C-section with daughter, Mia, because she was traumatized that she couldn’t deliver her naturally.
However a child is brought into this world whether by a natural home birth, with the use of an epidural or via Cesarean section, the fact remains that a new baby is a blessing no matter how that bundle is delivered.