According to the Mayo Clinic, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions), whether fear of messiness, germs or something else, that leads to doing repetitive behaviors (compulsions). An obsessive-compulsive might feel compelled to behave in a certain way, such as cleaning out their cabinets before going to sleep, or checking and rechecking their child or the locks on the doors.
Some statistics say that when people who suffer with OCD have kids their condition improves. These 11 celebrity moms have admitted to having this disorder and some have even revealed to getting better once they had children.
1. Julianne Moore – In an interview with The Guardian, the actress opened up about being obsessive compulsive. She used to do the ‘lucky walk’, leaving the house at a certain time, at a certain pace, so that there would be green lights rather than red. “Those are the indulgences you can have before you have children. Now I don’t have time to obsess. All that stuff about, ‘I need to go this certain way and do that,’ was an indulgence of my youth.”
2. Charlize Theron – Charlize Theron admitted to having OCD when she was on the Australian radio show Kyle and Jackie O. “I have OCD, which is not fun,” she told the radio hosts. “I have to be incredibly tidy and organized or it messes with my mind and switches off on me.”
3. Jane Horrocks – The British actress tells of how becoming a mother saved her from extreme bouts of obsessive behavior. Horrocks went through a season where she spent hours swallowing and counting how many times she blinked. She stopped this behavior once she had a child because she realized that when you have children, “you don’t have time to be obsessed.” She also wrote a screenplay about this disorder and it helped her get rid of some of the anxiety.
4. Megan Fox – “This is a sickness, I have an illness, this is not okay anymore,” Fox told Allure magazine in 2010. Her problem was with public toilets and restaurant silverware. “Every time someone uses a bathroom and they flush, all the bacteria is shot into the air,” Fox said. And her feelings on silverware? “Putting my mouth where a million other mouths have been, just knowing all the bacteria that you carry in your mouth? Ucch!” In 2013, after Fox had her son her strong stance took a turn for the better. In a Marie Claire interview she referred to her oldest son when she said, “I took him right on my chest and from that moment nothing he does freaks me out… [The anxiety] has been significantly better since he was born. I would say, like, 80 per cent better. Which is nice.”
5. Jennifer Love Hewitt – Jennifer Love Hewitt claims she cannot sleep at night if her closet or cabinet doors have been left ajar. Hewett says she’s inherited her OCD from her mother.
6. Jessica Alba – “I used to unplug every single appliance in my house. Or I’d double-check every door in my house to make sure it was locked at night,” Jessica Alba once told CosmoGirl. “It was like a panic came over me and I had to do something, and once I did it, I was OK. … It was really me needing to control something.”
7. Natalie Appleton – The Canadian pop singer and actress confessed to being obsessed with cleanliness since she was young. When Appleton was on the reality show I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here she broke down in tears when she had to touch a tree.
8. Emily Lloyd – The actress, who rose to fame on the 1987 film Wish You Were Here, had a long battle with depression and extreme obsessive compulsive disorder and spent time in psychiatric wards for her mental problems.
9. Britney Spears – It has been reported that pop superstar Britney Spears has had a history with obsessive compulsive disorder. The singer opened up a bit in a 2012 interview with Entertainment Tonight about her obsession with organizing. “I’m at the point where I’m completely anal… Even the refrigerator is completely organized,” the singer says.
10. Roseanne Barr – In addition to admitting to having dissociative identity disorder to Larry King in 2001, Roseanne Barr also spoke about her OCD. “I can’t stand to kiss people or touch them, because they are covered with germs…” she told the host. She even admitted to having problems kissing and being intimate with her husband at the time.
11. Teresa Giudice – Before the reality star began her 15-month prison sentence, she shared a secret — that she once lived with obsessive compulsive disorder, and had a compulsion to touch things three times. “I’ve never told anybody that I did that,” Giudice said, then added that “the OCD went right out the window” once she had kids. “When you have four daughters, you can’t be so obsessive over anything,” the Real Housewives’s star said. “I wake up every morning and I live for them.”