Are you planning a Southern California vacation and looking for family-friendly ideas to add to your itinerary? Or maybe you’re a local resident seeking to explore all the fun that Los Angeles has to offer. Whatever the scenario this guide will point you in the right direction to entertaining SoCal spots!
This post contains affiliate links and we may net a small commission, at no cost to you, if you choose to make a purchase.
1. See The Hollywood Sign (Approx. 27 Miles from LAX Airport) – The Hollywood Sign is a must visit for out-of-towners or local guests. You can hike, drive or take a bus to see this famous landmark. Be sure to bring your camera so you can get that memorable picture.
2. Attend a Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony (Approx. 24 Miles from LAX Airport) – Attend a free Walk of Fame Star Ceremony and see your favorite celebrity get their acclaim. It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes, hydrate and bring sunscreen. Check their Twitter page to keep track of upcoming ceremonies.
3. Explore the Hollywood Walk of Fame (Approx. 24 Miles from LAX Airport) – Find more than 2,700 stars on the renowned Walk of Fame, located on Hollywood Blvd from Gower to La Brea and on Vine Street from Sunset to Yucca.
4. Visit The TCL Chinese Theatre (Approx. 14 Miles from LAX Airport) – TCL Chinese Theatre is a movie palace on the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame and is the most iconic movie palace in the world, with over 50 events a year, including movie premieres, imprint ceremonies, and film festivals.
5. Watch A Movie At The El Capitan Theatre (Approx. 14 Miles from LAX Airport) – If you’re a Disney fan and want to experience a Disney movie in a restored movie palace then this is the place to be. It also serves as the venue for a majority of Disney film premieres.
6. See a Musical At The Pantages Theatre (Approx. 24 Miles from LAX Airport) – If your family enjoys musicals and want to see some of the greatest performances on stage then find a show and head over to the Pantages Theatre, located in the heart of Hollywood.
7. Visit The Santa Monica Pier – (Approx. 14 Miles from LAX Airport) – Enjoy a stroll down Santa Monica Pier with the family and discover a range of activities including carnival games, arcades, rides, street vendors, food, plus more.
8. Stroll Along 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica (Approx. 14 Miles from LAX Airport) – After visiting the Santa Monica Pier head on over to the promenade and enjoy novelty stores, clothing shops, plus a surplus of distinctive restaurants.
9. Visit Venice Beach Boardwalk (Approx. 7 Miles from LAX Airport) – The Venice Beach Boardwalk stretches over two (2) miles and hosts hundreds of street vendors and performers along with numerous privately-owned restaurants and food venues.
10. Explore Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills (Approx. 15 Miles from LAX Airport) – Known as one of the most expensive streets in the world, Rodeo Drive’s three iconic, palm-dotted blocks are home to more than 100 of the world’s leading luxury brands with deep connections to art and culture, housed in buildings designed by the most distinguished names in international design and architecture.
11. See The Sights At Universal City Walk (Approx. 28 Miles from LAX Airport) – This fun strip includes souvenir shops, the latest movies, various restaurant selections, kid-friendly candy stores, plus more. It’s also adjacent to Universal Studios Hollywood.
12. Take A Train Ride In Griffith Park (Approx. 29 Miles from LAX Airport) – Take the family on a train ride located at Griffith Park, Los Angeles, California. While at the park enjoy a family hike venturing off on one of its many trails.
13. Explore Griffith Observatory (Approx. 27 Miles from LAX Airport) – Known as Southern California’s gateway to the cosmos, this public observatory is located at the top of the beautiful Griffith Park. There are exhibits on space, the night sky, a planetarium, and public telescopes. This observatory has been featured in several movies including Rebel Without a Cause and La La Land.
14. Visit The California Science Center (Approx. 15 Miles from LAX Airport) – The California Science Center is an educational museum and popular destination for families that features hands-on exhibits and science-based programs.
15. Take a Warner Bros. Movie or TV Tour (Approx. 27 Miles from LAX Airport) – See where your favorite movies were made during a guided tour of Warner Bros. Studio. Explore back-lot sets and sound stages, see the famous Central Perk cafe from “Friends,” and learn about green-screen technology. For a grand finale, become a part of your favorite DC Universe and Harry Potter movies on recreated sets.
16. Take A Paramount Pictures Studio Tour (Approx. 15 Miles from LAX Airport) – Paramount Pictures gives a glimpse into current and past achievements in an intimate, behind the scenes look at a working studio. Step into the world of the industry’s top talent, producers, and crew as they create today’s award-winning television and feature films.
17. Get Cast on a Game Show (Approx. 28 Miles from LAX Airport) – Apply to be on a game show via Game Show Network, LLC.
18. See The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles (Approx. 16 Miles from LAX Airport) – From dinosaurs to a science lab, you will find almost everything you’ve ever been curious about under one roof at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles.
19. Go to a Dodger Game (Approx. 21 Miles from LAX Airport) – For those baseball fans buy tickets to a major league baseball game and watch the LA Dodgers play live.
20. Visit LA Live – (Approx. 17 Miles from LAX Airport)A. LIVE is the sports and entertainment district that surrounds Crypto.com Arena and Microsoft Theater in Downtown Los Angeles. The campus features sports (see below for tickets) and music venues, night clubs, restaurants, a bowling alley, museum, and movie theater. L.A. LIVE is the premier destination for live entertainment in Downtown Los Angeles.
21. Go to a Basketball or Hockey Game (Approx. 17 Miles from LAX Airport) – While visiting LA Live why not see
one of your favorite teams, Los Angeles Kings, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers or the Los Angeles Sparks, at the Crypto Arena?
22. See The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum (Approx. 11 Miles from LAX Airport) – This park and natural history museum was made from preserved remains of wildlife. Visit the only Ice Age fossil site in the world that’s being actively excavated in the middle of a city.
23. Hang Out At The Grove Shopping Center (Approx. 12 Miles from LAX Airport) – This is a nice outdoor shopping plaza you’ll enjoy with family and friends. Enjoy treats, from candy stores to dessert shops, to restaurants, from pizza to posh.
24. Attend a Live TV Taping (Approx. 28 Miles from LAX Airport) – Be an audience member on a TV show at Warner Bros Studio.
25. Hang Out In Westwood Village (Approx. 13 Miles from LAX Airport) – This Westwood neighborhood encompasses the UCLA campus and the Westwood Village, a walkable historic commercial district with student-friendly restaurants and shops. The Village’s cultural attractions include the Hammer Museum, the Geffen Playhouse, and the Fox Theater, a landmark movie palace that regularly hosts film premieres.