Before these famous moms became megastars they were performers hustling for their big break and if any show could successfully provide a platform for big breaks, it was Star Search. Star Search was an American talent show where contestants competed in various genres of entertainment including singing, dancing, acting and comedy. The program ran from 1983-1995, then relaunched from 2003-2004.
This weeks Throwback Thursday pays tribute to five celebrity moms who performed on the hit show back in the 1980’s and 90’s.
1. Britney Spears – In 1992, Britney Spears was 10-years-old when she appeared on Star Search and the pint-sized performer was belting out notes that were pretty impressive. Below she sang, Love Can Build a Bridge, a song recorded by American country music duo, The Judds.
2. Beyoncé Knowles – Before Beyoncé became famous for being in Destiny’s Child she was in another girl’s group called Girls Tyme. Although in the clip below the then 12-year-old, and her friends, including former Destiny’s Child member Kelly Rowland, lost to another group, in this 1993 performance the young ladies were quite impressive.
3. Christina Aguilera – She was always the little girl with the big voice and in 1990, power vocalist Christina Aguilera was just nine-years-old singing her heart out to an Etta James’ classic, Sunday Kind of Love.
4. Alanis Morissette – It’s hard to believe, but at fourteen alternative rock singer-songwriter Alanis Morissette performed her heart out to pop, dance music when she was on Star Search in 1988.
5. Rosie O’Donnell – Former The View host, Rosie O’Donnell, was always funny, as evidenced by her stellar performance on the Star Search follow up show in 1985.