Since summer is fast approaching we’re continuing our series of famous moms sporting swimsuits from the Golden Age of Hollywood up until now. Today, we’re highlighting some bathing-suit beauties from the 1960’s modeling chic, sexy and fun swimwear from this rich, cultural decade.
1. Raquel Welch – We have to start off with the incomparable Raquel Welch. Even today this Hollywood legend looks stunning. Welch made an indelible impression on audiences after flaunting a brown two-piece swimsuit, while starring as Loana in the 1966 film One Million Years B.C. Although she only had three lines in the movie, images of her in the alluring bikini she wore became best-selling posters that turned her into a celebrity sex symbol.
2. Ursula Andress – Ursula Andress is best known for her role as a Bond Girl in the first James Bond movie, Dr. No, for which she won a Golden Globe. Andress became famous as Honey Rider in the 1962 classic. An iconic moment in cinematic and fashion history was born when she rose out of the Caribbean Sea in a white bikini sporting a large diving knife on her hip. She later said that that bathing suit turned her into a success. In 2001, the swimsuit, she wore in the film, sold at an auction for $59,755.
3. Tippi Hedren – Actress Tippi Hedren made her big-screen debut in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1963 film The Birds, playing the lead role. She’s also the mother of actress Melanie Griffith. Below, Hedren is seen showing off her figure for Coppertone in a colorful two-piece bathing suit.
4. Jane Fonda – Jane Fonda is an American actress, writer, political activist, former fashion model and exercise guru. Still fit today, in 1982, Fonda released her first exercise video, Jane Fonda’s Workout, which became the highest-selling video of the time. It would be the first of 22 workout videos released by her over the next 13 years. In this vintage photo the Oscar-winner is posing for French Vogue in 1966 wearing a pretty two-piece bikini.
5. Martha Stewart – Many may be surprised to know that the Homemaking Guru, Martha Stewart, was a young model in the 60’s. Here, the glamorous fashionista, who became one of the first women in America to be a self-made billionaire, is posing in a very stylish one-piece.