Celebrity Chef, Padma Lakshmi makes cooking seem so easy, but we all know that with so many yummy meals real thought and effort goes into making it. One of Lakshmi’s favorites is her delectable Mexican Macaroni and Cheese, which can be found in her cookbook, Tangy Tart Hot and Sweet: A World of Recipes for Every Day. Check out what’s required to make this savory comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup diced shallots 2 cups ditalini or other very small elbow macaroni
- 3 to 4 pickled jalapenos or pickled serrano chilies, minced 1 1/3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano 1 cup grated mild jack cheese
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon turbinado or raw sugar 3 ounces (1/3 cup) goat cheese
- 8 tablespoons (or 1 stick) butter
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and chilies, and stir. After 2 minutes, add the oregano.
- Lightly sprinkle the raw sugar over the shallots, and stir for 3 minutes.
- Once the shallots begin to caramelize and lightly brown, turn the heat to low, and add the stick of butter to the pan, chopping it and stirring it in.
- After 2 minutes, add the milk and stir.
- Add the macaroni, and turn the heat back up to medium or medium low, being careful the milk doesn’t curdle.
- After another minute, sprinkle in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and then the mild jack cheese.
- Stir gently and add the goat cheese, slicing it with your spatula. Continue to stir gently, trying to prevent the cheese from clumping and increasing the heat as you see fit to speed the process.
- Heat and gently stir for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and sprinkle the rest of the cheddar cheese over the top to form a layer.
- Put the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes, then broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheddar is lightly browned, forming a crust. Serve immediately.