The actress, and pregnant reality starlet, posted a healthy version of the traditional ice cream sandwich. Cavallari’s creation looks delicious, and the fact that there are nutritious ingredients throughout make this indulgence all the more special.
So, what makes these cookie sandwiches so healthy? First, instead of ice cream, Cavallari used a non-dairy frozen dessert, made by Organic Coconut Bliss. She used a salted carmel and chocolate flavor, but Coconut Bliss, or other dairy-free frozen treats, can be found at your local health food store, such as Whole Foods Market. Second, for the chocolate chip cookies, she used applesauce as a substitute for butter and eggs. Third, the ingredients contain coconut oil, a superfood that is known to improve brain function and boost metabolism.
Cavallari shared her special recipe with People Magazine, and we’ve got the details below.
Photo Credit: Kristin Cavallari/Instagram
Gluten-Free Chocolate-Chip Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 6 tbsp. applesauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups evaporated cane sugar
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 pint dairy-free ice cream, such as Coconut Bliss
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, applesauce, salt, vanilla and sugar. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking soda and xanthan gum.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until a grainy dough is formed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
4. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the portions 1 inch apart. Bake the cookies on the center rack for 15 minutes, rotating the sheets 180 degrees after 9 minutes. The finished cookies will be crisp on the edges and soft in the center.
5. Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before putting a scoop of ice cream in between two cookies.
6. Wrap sandwiches individually in plastic wrap before putting in the freezer.