Jessica Seinfeld is one of our more impressive moms in the kitchen. She’s constantly posting unique, simple and fun recipes that make meal-time planning exciting. This time she’s sharing her recipe for Mushroom Pasta with Parmesan and Lemon.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- ½ pound shitake mushrooms
- ¾ pound cremini or button mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt (½ tsp. + ¼ tsp.)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- Fill a large pot with water 2 inches from the top. Place on the stove over high heat and let come to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain into a colander and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, chop the garlic. Chop the parsley and grate the Parmesan (if grating yourself).
- Using a damp paper towel, wipe away any dirt from the mushrooms. For the shitakes, remove the stems and discard. Slice the caps. For the creminis, trim the ends of the stems then slice the mushrooms.
- Place a large skillet on the stove and turn the heat on to medium-high. Add the butter. Once it’s melted, add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Season with ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper (about 12 turns on pepper mill).
- Add the wine a let simmer 1 minute (you don’t want it to completely evaporate). Stir in the cream. Once it’s heated through, pour the mushroom mixture over the pasta and stir to combine. Stir in the Parmesan and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Grate the lemon zest right over the pasta. Serve with the extra Parmesan.