Jessica Alba was on the Rachel Ray Show today and gave recipe secrets to making the perfect pizza. The business-mogul mom happily shared three versions of this family-favorite meal and, be warned, there’s even a spicy option. Take a peek and find your preference below.
For the Dough:
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 cups warm water (about 115°F)
- 5 cups organic bread flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- Olive oil
- DIY Tomato Sauce (Simmer 2 pounds chopped tomatoes, a couple of sliced garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, a pinch of oregano and sugar for 30 minutes. Purée.)
- Veggie Option: Mushrooms, roasted red bell peppers (diced), broccoli, fresh basil or rosemary; with or without cheese
- Classic Option: Fresh tomato sauce, nitrate-free pepperoni; with or without cheese
- Spicy Option: Jalapeños, nitrate-free chorizo sausage, deep-fried sage leaves; with or without cheese
- Mix a packet of instant yeast and 1/2 cup of flour in warm water. Let sit for 15 minutes until it all turns spongy (“proofed”).
- When yeast has proofed, add remaining flour slowly, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly with wooden spoon as you go.
- When all flour is mixed in, add salt.
- Knead wet, tacky dough into ball with one hand; move to a floured cutting board or wood surface; knead with 2 hands for 8-10 minutes.
- Put kneaded dough in a large bowl, coat with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap, stick it in the fridge for at least 8 hours and up to 30 hours.
- Preheat oven at maximum heat about half an hour before you want to cook pies.
- Remove dough from fridge, punch it down, then cut and shape into round balls to make individual pizzas 1-2 hours before cooking.
- Place balls gently into big casserole dish or covered fiberglass pizza dough box, let dough come to room temperature. Gently stretch and shape balls into individual pies.
- Dust pizza stone or oiled baking sheet with cornmeal or flour to prevent pies from sticking. Place pies one at a time on stone or sheet.
- Cook plain pie dough for 1 minute, then add toppings and bake about 15 min until dough is golden and crispy and cheese is melted.
- Kids tip: Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters before cooking.
Watch the video clip of Jessica in action!