The presidential campaign season has come to an end and whichever side of the political fence you fall on there’s probably a few celebrities that you align your views with. We put a list together of some of Hollywood’s most politically-minded moms, and while opinions and perspectives constantly change these famous mothers may hold positions that are similar to yours.
1. Kerry Washington – Scandal actress, Kerry Washington, wears her political views on her sleeve and in September 2012, the left-leaning star spoke at the Democratic National Convention. She also campaigned for President Obama in 2004. In addition to backing Obama, she’s a strong supporter of gay rights and received the GLAAD Vanguard Award on March 21, 2015. Earlier this year, Washington said she was “thrilled” about Hillary Clinton’s Presidential Candidacy, adding, “…I’m excited for her, and I’m sure I’ll be hitting the stump trail.”
2. Sigourney Weaver – After Sigourney Weaver made the 1988 film, Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey, she became a supporter of The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, and is an honorary chairwoman. Weaver is also an environmentalist and in 2006 spoke at a United Nations General Assembly about the widespread threat to ocean habitats posed by deep-sea trawling, a practice said to be like “strip-mining the ocean floor” in pursuit of fish. Although she grew up in a Republican household, Weaver is a long-standing Democrat and says, “We want the world to work for everybody, and that’s what the Democrats are all about.”
3. Susan Sarandon – Susan Sarandon may have grown up in a strict conservative household but the outspoken actress is a proud Democrat. She actively supports progressive and liberal political causes, ranging from the legalization of marijuana to LGBT rights. She’s also devotedly pro-choice and anti-death penalty. In 2003, Sarandon and her former partner, Tim Robbins, took a strong stance against the Iraq War. She has also donated to Democratic campaigns that included Barack Obama, John Edwards and John Kerry.
4. Angelina Jolie – Angelina Jolie is internationally known for her film career, but the actress is also highly regarded for her humanitarian work. Jolie fervidly promotes various causes including, conservation, education and women’s rights. She also advocates on behalf of refugees as a Special Envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Many people automatically assume the superstar is a Democrat like her equally famous husband, Brad Pitt, but the Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations surprised many with the revelation that she was not. “I think people assume I’m a Democrat. But I’m a registered Independent and I’m still undecided. So I’m looking at McCain as well as Obama,” she told Entertainment Weekly when deciding upon who she would vote for back in 2008.
5. Roseanne Barr – In 2013, Roseanne Barr announced she was running for the Green Party’s presidential nomination. Although the actress-comedian didn’t win there were a list of causes that she was ready to fight for and she was willing to: forgive all student loans, homeowner debt and credit card debt by “kicking out” the Federal Reserve; institute single-payer healthcare within 100 days of her inauguration; pursue those she calls “financial terrorists”; reconfigure American diets, shifting away from animal protein and toward protein from nuts; and fight for gay rights. Barr is also pro-legalization of marijuana, and has said in the past that she’d abolish all taxes. Regarding the two major parties the actress had this to say. “The Democrats and Republicans have proven that they are servants — bought and paid for by the 1 percent — who are not doing what’s in the best interest of the American people.”
6. Patricia Heaton – Everybody Loves Raymond and The Middle star, Patricia Heaton, is vocal about her conservative political views, a stance rare in Hollywood. Heaton is also very passionate about her pro-life position. The actress said that becoming a mom caused it to become something she feels she needs to speak out about. “Once you have kids and you know what it feels like to be pregnant and you know what it feels like to have that person growing inside of you, and the beauty of it, it’s just not a holistic thing to do,” the mom of four revealed to The Blaze.
7. Angie Harmon – Angie Harmon, who stars as Detective Jane Rizzoli on the TNT series Rizzoli & Isles is a vocal Republican. In 2004, Harmon and her estranged husband, former NFL player Jason Sehorn, delivered a speech at the Republican National Convention and in 2008, Harmon supported John McCain’s presidential candidacy campaign. When speaking critically of President Obama in 2009, she admitted to getting flak for it. …”I’m just not crazy about what he’s doing and I heard all about this, and he’s gonna do that and change and change, so okay … I’m still dressing for a recession over here buddy and we’ve got unemployment at an all-time high and that was his number one thing and that’s the thing I really don’t appreciate. If I’m going to disagree with my President, that doesn’t make me a racist…”
8. Stacey Dash – Stacey Dash is widely known for her breakout role in the 1995 feature film Clueless. Although the actress voted for President Obama in 2008 she switched her party affiliation from Democrat to Republican in 2012 and endorsed then-Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. She received a lot of criticism for her shift, and later revealed her reasons to PEOPLE. “I really started paying attention to politics and how it directly relates to my everyday life. I realized that I wasn’t happy with what was going on so in 2012 I wanted it to go in a different direction. I realized that I am a Republican.” In May of 2014 Dash became a contributor for Fox News.