A ketogenic or “keto” diet is a diet that derives most of its calories from fat, only a small number of calories from carbohydrates and prompts the body to become good at burning fat rather than carbs. Although controversial, this popular diet has been around since the 1920’s but has been gaining traction as more celebrities are adopting this eating lifestyle. Check out these celebrity moms who’ve had success on this diet.
1. Halle Berry – Halle Berry was on Live with Kelly and Ryan and revealed that she followed a ketogentic diet to help her diabetiese and stay healthy. “A ketogenic diet is no sugar, no carbs. Nothing white,” she tells the hosts, revealing that she fills her diet with healthy fats, like avocado, oil, coconut oil, and even butter. She trains her body to burn healthy fats.
2. Melissa McCarthy – Actress and comedienne Melissa McCarthy showed off her remarkable 75 pound weight loss in her movie Life of the Party. According to Daily Mail, McCarthy went on a ketogenic diet in preparation for the film. The comedian plays a mother who has an elegant makeover then goes back to college alongside her teenage daughter after the demise of her marriage.
3. Sherri Shepherd – Recently, actress and television host Sherri Shepherd has been posting about her weight loss journey and hashtagging “keto” as the secret to her weight loss success. The pre-diabetic actress has been very careful to eliminate sugar from her diet and she shares how she’s lost more than 30 pounds on her Instagram page.
4. Kourtney Kardashian – In a blog post on Kourtney Kardashian’s app the reality star talks about the months she spent following the keto diet, which she described as a “really positive experience.” The mom of three says, “I would make broccoli rice or cauliflower rice to at least feel like I was eating some carbs. Then I would add protein, so I often ate grilled chicken and fish over broccoli rice, cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash. I mixed in roasted vegetables, fresh salads with homemade dressing, and smoothies made with avocados and bananas.”
5. Jenna Jameson – On her Instagram post former adult film actress and reality star Jenna Jameson shared how she lost 60 pounds following the Keto diet. “…Every morning I eat the exact same thing. 3 eggs with cheese and an avocado. Lunch is my biggest meal, I always eat arugula salad, grilled asparagus or zucchini with some kind of meat (usually a hamburger patty or grilled chicken) I then snack when ever I feel hungry (usually on almonds or macadamia nuts… sometime cottage cheese) that’s it! Then I begin my fast at 6 pm. I drink lots of water until I go to sleep at around 10 pm. I drink coffee at 8 am and I end my fast at 11 am…”