Laila Ali shared the recipe to her famous “oven fried chicken” on her “Mommy in Chief” webisode, and we’re excited that she did. As the boxing champ describes this delightful meal, it’s “sure to satisfy your craving for tender, crispy fried chicken– without feeling guilty! my oven fried chicken is succulent and full of flavor…..minus all the greasy fat!”
- 10-12 organic chicken wings
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can olive oil spray
- Pre heat oven at 400 degrees. If you have a “convection bake” setting, use it.
- Rinse the chicken wings and pat dry. Combine wings with spices: sea salt, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, seasoning salt, ground pepper and chili powder. Mix together in a large bowl and set aside. Cover a large flat oven pan with heavy duty foil (this eliminates the need to scrub the pan clean when done). Spray a layer of olive oil on the foil. Be sure to cover the entire surface with spray.
- Put the flour in a a clean paper bag (or you can use a large bowl.
- Add half of the seasoning chicken wings, roll the top of the bag closed and shake it up until the chicken is fully cover in a thin layer of flour.
- Take the chicken out of the bag and lay down flat on the bag. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.Throw the paper bag away.
- Once you have all of the chicken laying flat on the pan, spray olive oil over the top of the chicken. Be sure to cover each piece of chicken. The olive oil is what causes the chicken to fry and become crispy in the oven.
- Place your pan in the hot oven for 40 min. Remove the pan and flip chicken over and return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until it is as crispy as your prefer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and sprinkle with a little sea salt and pepper OR seasoning salt as a finishing touch.
- Let chicken sit for 5 minutes, then serve!