Jessica Alba is celebrated for a lot of things: like her memorable acting work; her generous charitable contributions; her thriving Honest Company, which focuses on healthy eating and living, but, the “amateur chef,” as she describes herself, is also famous for her apple banana bread pudding. And, the best part, it’s gluten free. See the details below.
Photo credit: Jessica Alba/Instagram
APPLE BANANA BREAD PUDDING
- 6 cups lightly packed day-old gluten-free sandwich bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 apples, cored and cut into small pieces
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dairy-free and gluten-free chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Cinnamon, optional
- Vanilla sugar, optional
- 6 large eggs (or egg whites)
- 3½ cups vanilla coconut milk
- Thoroughly grease an 8″ x 11″ x 2″ glass baking dish. Scatter half of the bread cubes evenly over the bottom of the dish. Distribute the apples and bananas in a single layer on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle half of the chocolate and half of the brown sugar evenly over the fruit. (Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and vanilla sugar, if desired.) Scatter the remaining bread and chocolate evenly over the top.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a large bowl until well blended. Slowly put the egg mixture over the top of the bread. Set the dish aside for 20 minutes, periodically pushing the bread down lightly with the back of a fork, until the bread has absorbed much of the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top of the bread (and a second sprinkle of cinnamon and vanilla sugar, if desired.). While the bread is soaking, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Set the baking dish in a larger pan; transfer to the oven and add enough hot water to the larger pan to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours. The pudding should be slightly soft in the center and crisp on top. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.