On her blog, Eva Amurri Martino shared how her daughter, Marlowe, is counting down the days until Christmas by creating a beautiful DIY Advent Calendar. And, it’s the perfect craft that you and your little ones can decorate together while enjoying the holiday season. Check out Martino’s creation below!
- 1 Large Rectangular Cork Board
- Festive Wrapping Paper
- 2 Faux Festive Garlands
- Hot Glue Gun + Glue cartridges
- Baker’s Twine
- Treat Bags
- Stickers, Washi Tape, Markers, Number & Letters
- Accessories to Decorate the Countdown Bags
- Treats for the Countdown Bags! (Ornaments, Figurines, Candy, etc)
- Start with your cork board. Cover it in your festive wrapping paper as if you are wrapping a present.
- Make sure there aren’t any seams on the cork “front” visible.
- Use the hot glue gun to glue the garlands around the perimeter of the cork board. Add a festive little figurine or two! I glued two little red cardinals on the top ledge of the board.
- Decorate your treat bags! Make sure you line them up as you’re making them to spread out the stickers, decorations, etc. so that there aren’t groupings of the same looking stickers in one place and that the decorated bags look good as a cohesive whole.
- Now, hang the string! Figure out how many rows you will need for your size cork board, and secure lines of string across the board using thumbtacks. The foliage around the rim will hide the tacks.
- Place them as close to the frame of the cork board as possible, and then wrap the string so it is very tight and taut. I used three lines of bakers twine wrapped into one for extra strength.
- Hang up your Advent Countdown Bags in order!
- Secure each one on the “line” with a clothespin. I love the natural wood look of bare clothespins but you can always paint them to match your festive paper, or use washi tape to cover the wood!