Laboring and delivering a baby without the intervention of pain medication can be a beautiful, natural, occurrence for mothers, but it also comes with its share of challenges. As a mom who’s experienced the natural birthing process on two memorable occasions, I understand both the joys and the pains that come with the toil of labor, and the triumph of, medication-free, delivery.
RELATED: 8 Rules for Planning a Natural Birth
Below is a list of 25 celebrity moms who also know the myriad of emotions associated with giving birth au naturel.
- Duchess of Cambridge – After 11 hours of labor, and in the company of 4 Midwives and 2 Medics, the Duchess and Prince William welcomed their first child, Prince George, at St. Mary’s Hospital.
- Pamela Anderson – The former, Baywatch-babe chose a home, water birth for sons, Dylan and Brandon.
- Felicity Huffman – This Desperate Housewives star had a home birth for her two daughters, supported by her husband, William H. Macy.
- Miranda Kerr – The model opted for natural because she liked the idea of the baby latching on to the breast immediately after childbirth. As she put it, “I’ve never been through so much pain, but I was totally present the entire time, focusing on my breath and meditating.”
- Maria Bello – With a midwife present, Ms. Bello, home-birthed her son after 22 hours of labor, all while a raging thunderstorm was going on outside.
- Nelly Furtado – A self-described, “hippie mum,” this singer gave birth to her daughter at home, with the help of midwives.
- Melora Hardin – The Office actress had a home birth, assisted by a midwife. Her oldest daughter was also there to watch her little sister enter the world.
- Cindy Crawford – With three midwifes on hand, the supermodel had her daughters at home. According to Crawford, “Giving birth to both my children at home in my bed,” is her proudest moment.
- Jessica Alba – Alba said the process of natural childbirth was very intense, and even more so with her second delivery, however, she said she never screamed and that the labor was more like a meditation.
- Christy Turlington-Burns – The model and her husband, actor, Ed Burns, chose to deliver daughter, Grace, and son Finn, naturally at birthing centers.
- Melissa Joan Hart – The actress underwent, “a lot of medical intervention” during the birth of her first son Mason, but wanted a drug-free childbirth when it came time to deliver her second son, Braydon. She says the healing was much faster without the drugs.
- Demi Moore – Moore had all three of her daughters, Rumer, Tallulah and Scout, at home the natural way.
- Thandie Newton – The beautiful actress gave birth to her daughters, Nico and Ripley, in a birthing pool, and just delivered her third child, baby-boy Booker at home. “It was very challenging in the best way possible,” she said.
- Busy Phillips – Busy delivered her daughter in a hospital, using hypnobirthing techniques to cope with the pain, and says her experience was incredible.
- Lisa Bonet – The former, Cosby Show, actress had both of her daughters, Zoë and Lola, in the natural environment of her home.
- Jennifer Connelly – The actress used a birthing pool to deliver her third child, Agnes, at her home.
- Kourtney Kardashian – The reality star had an all-natural labor and delivery with daughter, Penelope, and chose to give birth at Cedar Sinai Medical Hospital in Los Angeles.
- Alanis Morissette – The singer chose a natural home birth for her son, Ever, and during the 25 hours of labor she was silent, but called the experience physically excruciating.
- Erykah Badu – The neo-soul singer had all three of her kids at home. Erykah now works as a Doula and is training to be a Midwife. She says her clients refer to her as, “Erykah Ba-Doula.”
- Maya Rudolph – This funny lady had a home birth with her second child and says that her daughter, “kind of gently glided into her fathers arms.”
- Mayim Bialik – Bialik had natural births with both of her sons. Her youngest, Fred, was born at home, while her oldest, Miles, watched from his high chair. Big brother later helped cut the unbiblical cord.
- Ricki Lake – Although Lake used pain medication with the birth of her first child, she chose the natural route for her second. On her experience, Lake says, “That high is something I will never forget. The feeling that ‘if I can do this, I can do anything’ has stayed with me through the years….” She later released a documentary, The Business of Being Born, about birthing at home with midwives.
- Julianne Moore – Moore had her daughter, Liv, at home. She’s also contributed to Ricki Lake’s home-birth advocacy mission.
- Lucy Lawless – Lawless opted for a water birth, believing it would be an easier transition for her baby boy to enter the world in water.
- Gisele Bündchen – The supermodel admits to having a very tranquil birth at home, with no pain. She chose water births for her daughter, Vivian, and her son, Benjamin, and credits yoga and meditation as the methods that helped alleviate the pain of their births.
While true that natural birth is an accomplishment to be proud of, the bottom line is, bringing a life into this world, whether naturally, via C-section or with an epidural, is a remarkable blessing that no method of birth can take away.