In light of Lindsay Lohan’s shocking revelation that she experienced a miscarriage last year we thought we’d pay homage to some famous moms who’ve suffered the same loss.
Miscarriage is the term used for a pregnancy that ends on its own, within the first 20 weeks of gestation, and, according to American Pregnancy Association, 10-25% of women experience this heartbreak. And although it’s the most common type of pregnancy loss, the impact felt is devastating, nonetheless.
Below are 25 celebrity moms who’ve suffered through a miscarriage.
1. Beyonce – The singer experienced, “the saddest thing I’ve been through” when she had a miscarriage in 2010, two years before giving birth to daughter, Blue Ivy, in 2012, with husband, Jay Z.
2. Courtney Cox – It’s been reported that Cox suffered seven miscarriages, before welcoming daughter, Coco Riley, via in vitro fertilization (IVF) in 2004, with ex-husband David Arquette.
3. Kirstie Alley – The actress miscarried her only pregnancy in 1990. She has since adopted a son, William, and daughter, Lillie.
4. Pamela Anderson – The former Baywatch star admitted to miscarrying in 2007, while she was married to rocker, Kid Rock.
5. Lisa Ling – The TV journalist and husband, Paul Song, grieved through a miscarriage in 2010, but persevered and was blessed with a baby girl in 2013.
6. Lilly Allen – Sadly, the British singer miscarried at 4 months in 2008 and had a heart-wrenching stillbirth at 6 months along in 2010. She was blessed to later have two little girls, Ethel and Marnie, born in 2011 and 2013.
7. Pink – Pink admitted to enduring a tragic miscarriage before giving birth to her daughter, Willow, with husband, Carey Hart in 2011.
8. Nicole Kidman – Early on in her marriage to ex-husband, Tom Cruise, Nicole lost a child. The two later adopted a son and a daughter. After the actress married Keith Urban they welcomed daughters Sunday Rose and Faith in 2008 and 2010.
9. Gwyneth Paltrow – Last year, the superstar revealed the sad news that she endured a miscarriage in 2008, with what would have been her third child, with musician, Chris Martin.
10. Celine Dion – In 2009, the talented singer was supposed to have triplets with husband, René Angélil, but lost one of the babies early in her pregnancy. The couple now have three children.
11. Mariah Carey – In 2008, the singer and her husband, Nick Cannon, miscarried their first child, but a double portion of love came upon the couple when they welcomed twins, Monroe and Moroccan, in 2011.
12. Bethenny Frankel – Bethenny revealed in a Today Show interview that she experienced a miscarriage in 2012 with former husband, Jason Hoppy. Although the reality star, turned talk-show-host, was never able to give her daughter, Bryn, a sibling she is thankful for the beautiful child she does have.
13. Brooke Shields – Shields and sitcom writer husband, Chris Henchy, were hit hard with the news of a miscarriage in 2001, after undergoing IVF. They later went on to have two daughters.
14. Sharon Stone – Stone suffered 3 miscarriages before later adopting three sons, one with ex-husband, Phil Bronstein, and two more as a single mom.
15. Christie Brinkley – The supermodel had 3 miscarriages before finally giving birth to her third child, Sailor, in 1998, with ex-husband Peter Cook.
16. Courtney Love – In 2004, the rocker-actress suffered a miscarriage on the set of her film, 24 Hours. Love already had one child with her late husband, Nirvana frontman, Kurt Cobain.
17. Giuliana Rancic – 2010 proved to be a painful year when the E! News correspondent and Fashion Police hostess, found out she miscarried her child after going through several IVF treatments. She and her husband, Bill, would later have a son via surrogacy.
18. Joan Rivers – The legendary funny woman, who desperately wanted more children, had two miscarriages after the birth of her one and only daughter, Melissa Rivers.
19. Melissa Rivers – Melissa had one miscarriage before giving birth to her son, Edgar, in 2000, with ex-husband, John Endicott.
20. Barbara Walters – After Walters suffered through three miscarriages, the news correspondent decided to adopt a daughter, Jacqueline.
21. Kathie Lee Gifford – The talk show host was faced with the heartbreak of a miscarriage before giving birth to daughter, Cassidy, with husband, Frank Gifford. They also have a son, Cody, together.
22. Gladys Knight – The rock and soul singer was only 16 when she had a miscarriage with her first husband, musician, Jimmy Newman. After her devastation, the multi-winning Grammy winner went on to have three kids.
23. Barbara Bush – In the 1960’s, the former First Lady had a miscarriage when her son, former President, George W. Bush, was a teenager. Bush recalled how he drove his mom to the hospital after she had just endured that painful loss.
24. Yoko Ono – Ono, and slain Beatles legend, John Lennon, experienced a miscarriage in 1968. The unborn child was named, John Ono Lennon II. They had another son, Sean, born on Lennon’s birthday, October 9th, 1975, and Ono also has a daughter from a previous marriage.
25. Susan Lucci – In her memoir, the Emmy winning actress recounted a heartbreaking miscarriage she and husband, Helmut Huber, endured early on in their marriage. Together, they have two children.